French toast is like magic! You turn old-ish bread into something delicious and mouthwatering 😛 Its such a great way to make use of those end pieces of a loaf of bread you weren’t quite able to finish before going stale. But don’t worry, you can also make it with fresh bread!
I like spicing mine with some cinnamon and nutmeg to make it taste like spicy pancakes, but you’re welcome to leave them out. I hope you enjoy 🙂
- 2 pieces of bread
- 1 flax egg
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Maple syrup, for topping
- Fresh fruit, for topping (optional)
- Make your flax egg by mixing 1 tbsp of flax meal with 2 tbsp of water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place the two pieces of bread in a flat bottomed, deep dish.
- Combine your flax egg, milk, and spices in a bowl, mix well.
- Pour half the mixture over the pieces of bread making sure all of the bread is soaking up the liquid. Turn the bread over and pour the rest of the mixture over the other side.
- Leave the bread to soak up the liquid for a few minutes, before heating a pan on medium heat.
- Add the pieces of bread to the frying pan, and drizzle over the leftover liquid in the dish, the bread hasn’t soaked up yet.
- Cook on both sides until browned and crispy.
- Stack on a plate and drizzle some maple syrup over them. Add some fresh fruit to your desire.
Eet smakelijk! Enjoy ❤