Brownies!! Chocolate, gooey goodness 🙂 I am definitely in love with most things chocolate, then again isn’t everyone?!!
I am a big fan of baking in the middle of the night, which is when I usually get my chocolate cravings. This recipe is one I created during one such crazy midnight bake sessions. They are gooey and fudgy and all the best parts of a brownie! I added strawberries and a date caramel, however this is not necessary, so feel free to mix it up and add in the extras you prefer 🙂
Makes: aprox. 12 squares
Preparation/Bake time: 35 minutes
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 100g coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 flax eggs
- 75g self raising flour
- 30g almond meal (plus some extra to add in with the dates)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- 100g strawberries sliced
- 50g dark chocolate drops
- 100g dates soaked over night
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and grease and line a square tin of about 18 by 18 cm
- Make your flax eggs and set aside for 5 minutes until ready to use.
- Gently heat the coconut oil and almond milk over low heat, until the coconut oil has melted. Pour this over the coconut sugar and whisk until the sugar has dissolved and it has become a rich caramel colour (it tastes pretty good too!!).
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl (self raising flour, almond meal, cocoa powder, baking powder, shredded coconut). Add the dry ingredients into the wet, bit by bit and whisk to combine.
- Pour into the prepared tin and place in the oven for approx. 20 minutes.
- Make the date caramel by blitzing the overnight, soaked dates with a sprinkle of almond meal until it is of smooth consistency.
- When the brownies have baked for 20 minutes or so spread the date caramel over the top, it doesn’t need to be an even spread. Place the sliced strawberries and dark (vegan if required) chocolate drops over the top and bake for a further 5-10 minutes until the brownie is fully baked.
- Leave to cool in the tin for at least 5 minutes after which it can be transferred to a wire rack. Slice and enjoy!!
I hope you enjoy the recipe! Let me know what you think ❤
181 kcal per serve