I never thought I was a risotto person until this year and my dad’s recipe brought back those delicious food memories. I have not eaten so much risotto in a long time, and I’m not getting sick of it, because there are so many options!! I am secretly a bit of a gooey cheese lover when it comes to risotto, a main issue with vegan food. But let me say this, this risotto is so creamy and gooey, you’d never guess there was no cheese in it!! I can only say I am in love (and secretly very proud 😀 ). If you’re struggling with the no cheese thing, or you’re looking for a great recipe for a vegan friend/family member, please give this a try! You will not regret it, I promise 🙂
Serves: 2 people
Preparation/cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
- 2 big beetroots, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 onion, finely sliced/diced
- (Olive) oil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 1 (vegan) stock cube
- 6 medium sized asparaguses, chopped up (optional)
- A handful of nuts (I used almonds and cashews)
- Basil to garnish
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place your beetroot in a pan, cover with boiling water, add salt and simmer on low to medium heat until tender (about 40 minutes, maybe longer depending how big your pieces are).
- When the beetroot is tender drain the liquid into a measuring bowl (DON’T through away), allow the cooked beetroot to stand.
- Add the stock cube to the beetroot draining liquid and make it up to 4 cups.
- When the beetroot has cooked, in a separate pan, heat some olive oil and fry your onions until tender on low to medium heat.
- Add the herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano), stirring to combine.
- Add the rice, stirring to combine quickly before pouring over beetroot + stock liquid.
- Bring it all to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook until the rice is ready and it consists of a risotto consistency (creamy).
- In a separate pan (you can re-use the beetroot pan) boil your asparagus, and set aside when tender.
- With the cooked beetroot put half in a processor together with the coconut cream and blend until smooth.
- Shop the remainder into small cubes/pieces.
- Blend the nuts to a fine crumble mixture and set aside.
- When the risotto is done, at the smooth beetroot and coconut mixture, beetroot pieces and asparagus. Mix into the rice and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Mix 2/3 of the nut crumble through the risotto and dish it up into two bowls
- Garnish with the remaining nut crumble and basil.
Enjoy!! Let me know what you think ❤