I can’t remember a birthday party without these deliciously moorish treats and I don’t think I’ve met a single person who did not like them. It is one of my go to recipe, and they have been requested by friends many times. What I love about them is that they turn out well no matter what (even if you substitute an ingredient here or there) and that this recipe is as good vegan as not, which makes this the perfect treat to make everyone happy.
Makes: 30 (small cookies)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 12 minutes
- 125g margarine/(vegan) butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup brown/coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (or normal egg, or other egg replacer)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 1/2 self-raising flour
- 100g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking try (or two).
- If you’re using a flax egg, make it (using flax/linseed flour and water) and set it aside for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the margarine with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugars, flax egg and vanilla extract and whisk again until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, bit by bit until it is incorporated. You can do this with the whisk or by hand mixing it.
- Finally add the chocolate chips.
- Form the dough into little balls and flatten them slightly onto the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool a little on a wire wrack before eating (they are nice warm, but not if they burn your tong 😛 )
Hope you guys enjoy these babies! Let me know if you make them xoxox